Sunday, October 05, 2008

My Omega Watch Dealer Was Nice To Me







I got two surprises when I popped in to see my city jewelers this morning.

My wife's Omega watch - the one I bought for her, endorsed by supermodel Cindy Crawford and splattered with more diamonds than fleas on a donkey - needed a new battery.

Every year or two I would trudge down to this grand shop, and wait - surrounded by exotic Rolexes and Paket Philippes and expensive blings - until they deigned to fill out the form to send it off for a battery replacement.

Where it goes, I've no idea.

But a week later it comes back in tick-tock condition again, ready to advise my wife when to eat and when to sleep.

The first surprise I encountered was the big framed poster on one of the walls. It showed Cindy C. herself, and the poster was hand signed with love to the jeweler.

But the Omega shown beneath her perfect teeth and chin was a different shape. It was round and gold. The one I bought my wife 5 years back was squarish and silver.

I sincerely hoped my dear wife wouldn't see this brutal display of planned obsolescence, and blackmail me for an upgrade.

The second shock came when the owner of the shop - normally a man of a diffident and somewhat arrogant nature - actually called out to me, smiled, and asked if I needed any assistance.

You could have knocked me down with a feather.

After spending thousands of dollars in his shop over many years, I was finally recognized... I was one of the favored few! I had entered the Gate Of Acceptance. Wahoo!

I got back to the car where my wife was waiting, and before I could tell her about my promotion to Exalted Person, she started to complain.

"People have been staring at our car," she stated with a cross face.

But her whinging was music to my ears. I grinned. My year-old Lexus was a rarity anywhere in the world... it's the flagship - top of the range hybrid and only 2,000 are made each year. And yesterday evening I had spent a pleasant and therapeutic hour polishing the dark paintwork so it gleamed like a mirror.

It is a stunning looking auto in immaculate condition, and that's what people noticed as well as its scarcity. "Mainly men," added my wife grumpily. She didn't fancy being associated with the object of their attention as she sat waiting for me.

As the big car glided silently away on battery power, it suddenly dawned on me.

"He wants my money!" I exclaimed, nearly bowling over a pedestrian or two as the realization hit home.

And it was true. Shops, especially those dealing in high-end merchandise are feeling the pinch right now. My jeweler had seen the error of his ways, and was trying to make up to me for all the overbearing and insincere behavior he had exhibited in the past. He needed sales.

I smiled quietly to myself.

The karmic balance was being redressed. The customer has the power again.

It was a good feeling.

Almost as good as winning the lottery.







Happy Winning!
Ken Silver

P.S. You only need one thing to win the lottery: the Silver Lotto System

>> Subscribe to my free Lotto-Tips newsletter