Thursday, April 12, 2007

What's Your Attitude To Money?

My wife gets annoyed at me talking about money constantly.

A couple of months ago she blew her top at me. "All you seem to talk about is money, money, money!" she exclaimed in a rare moment of annoyance.

I retired quickly to think about what she had said. Sometimes other people have a better idea of you than you.

She was right, of course. I live and breathe its acquisition, and inevitably that comes out in my speech and actions.

A while back I had read an insight into some idiosyncrasies of the rich, and one of their traits was to constantly talk and think about money. It was an important part of their daily structure.

So I wasn't alone. But was it a good thing?

Obviously for the sake of our 35 years of marriage, I need to tone down a bit if it annoyed her so much.

And that brought me to our attitudes about money. She doesn't care for it much. Her world consists of giving unselfishly to others through volunteer work. My job is to support her as best I can - which I do happily.

We are both very different. But it's a neat circle of convenience... customer and supplier!

Money means different things at different times to different people. For some it might mean security, for others a power show. Some might use debt to punish themselves. Others use debt to grow... for example, they see a heavy mortgage as an enforced savings plan. Others might see the mortgage as an onerous commitment.

My own view is that money becomes its own security for me. I am happiest when I have a lot in the bank. When Silver Lotto System sales are good, I'm happy. When sales drop, it affects my whole being.

While my cash flow rises and falls quite considerably, I'm not short of money opportunities. My Lexus dealer offered me $45,000 in lease arrangements a while back. I have several hundred thousand dollars available as a loan against the mortgage if I want it.

But that is all different from having cash on hand... even though cash in the bank is not a sensible financial position. More about that in this post.

So how will you react when you win a substantial sum on lotto?

What kind of money attitude do you have? It's wise to work it out now - before you become one of the statistics... the 50% or more who have nothing left two years after their win.

Spread the word...click the envelope below to tell a friend about this blog!
Subscribe to my free lotto-Tips newsletter