Monday, April 09, 2007

Turn That TV OFF! Why?

I get annoyed by people who complain about television watching and playing lotto.

At the moment a couple of prominent internet commentators are complaining against the wastefulness of television. Their main gripe is that this form of mass entertainment is a time waster.

Well I'm sorry, but isn't a book the same thing?

You can spend hours reading and not achieve anything either. And worse, the pages aren't moving and don't have sound.

Some advocates of the written word say that a book stimulates the imagination in a better way than television does. They even claim to have measured brainwave patterns to prove it.

Bunkum. I find it hard to believe. You can get knowledge or enjoyment from whatever medium YOU choose. It all depends on your attitude.

The real reason, I think, is the eternal battle of two schools of thought... books versus television. I have a foot in both camps. I know that while I get a lot of information from books, I also wouldn't be without my 50" plasma for up-to-date news and vicarious entertainment.

Does watching TV waste time?

My answer - if you can't make time for an hour a day catching up with the news or relaxing with a good program, you're not a terribly good organizer.

These same do-gooder whingers also complain about lotto. They say it's a waste of money... they say no one ever wins... and it creates bad habits.

How exactly it does all these things, I'm not sure. I have yet to read any newspaper report of a lotto player who left their families starving because the housekeeping money has all gone on the game.

Pokies, maybe. Lotto, no.

Here's a reality check: We need to see if the spoilsports have a personal, vested interest. Often they do:

  • Fact: Newspaper barons have a vested interest in keeping readers. They don't want them running off to the always-moving, bright and cheerful television land. So they'll slam the medium whenever they can. You'll always find their horror stories about spam and viruses are designed to frighten you.

  • Fact: Television moguls have a vested interest in keeping viewers. They don't want them running off to the internet. Unfortunately it's a losing battle with the coming convergence of the net and tv.
Know what I'm saying? Examine the motives of everyone. Rarely are they purely out to help you.

You might say too I have an interest in keeping people playing lotto. It all helps to sell my Silver Lotto System.

Sure I do, but I also feel I'm helping people to play better and more efficiently, and I feel good about doing that. I'm not subverting the masses. The number of people who have bought my system are such a tiny fraction of the huge billion lotto population, that anything I say won't even make a dent.

As well, I constantly advise my Silverites (buyers of my system) to always play within their needs.

Just as I said in some of my earlier posts, I'm an advocate of having fun. Not at the expense of others, but living life to the full.

That means just because some moralistic do-gooder tells you so, drooping over a boring book - when you want to be watching the magnificent electronic marvel of communication and entertainment that is television - needs some rational thought.

As always, think for yourself. The rewards are greater.

Spread the word...click the envelope below to tell a friend about this blog!
Subscribe to my free lotto-Tips newsletter