Saturday, March 17, 2007

Items On My Office Desk #2

This is my Panasonic Digital super hybrid PBX telephone system.

Our house has eight similar phone extensions - in the main rooms and garage - controlled by a central master switchboard in a hall cupboard at the middle of the house.

This particular system was chosen because we could transfer calls between rooms and answer the front door speakerphone from anywhere. We can also intercom through the phones in each room. There are more features than we'll ever need.

Here's another advantage. My wife and I use the phone a lot, but she gets more calls than me. It was very frustrating to keep answering her calls and either taking a message (I'm not a very good secretary!) or searching through the house to find her.

The solution was remarkably easy... we each have our own phone line.

For example, since we each give out our own dedicated line phone numbers, this immediately stops any message taking by the other partner. If we are not in, then the message goes to our separate voicemail boxes. I don't answer her calls, nor she mine. Easy.

But there are other benefits as well. We have an extension in all our main rooms: the guest bedroom, kitchen, my wife's office, the main bedroom, my office, the garage and a doorphone (below) which can be answered by any extension.

So whenever we get a call that needs to be answered by the other partner, we can transfer it through to almost any room. We can also have our calls transferred to our cell phones.

In short, the system acts like the switchboard system of any small office. I couldn't do without it.

Spread the word...click the envelope below to tell a friend about this blog!
Enjoyed this post?...subscribe to my free Lotto-Tips newsletter