Thursday, July 02, 2009

Would You Go Back To Work After Winning Lotto?






In this morning's newspaper was a story about a couple of $66 million winners.

I nearly tore my hair out when I read it.

Because how this middle-aged couple reacted is typical of many large lottery winners when they get the good news.

They are in shock. Disoriented. Confused.

All reason leaves them.

All their normal boundaries are shaken to the core by the vast change in their finances.

Think - never again will they have to owe money to a single soul. They can pay for anything they want.

They can walk down the street, point at almost anything at random... cars, buildings, furniture... and mutter happily to themselves: "I could buy that, right now!"

So what this couple did that annoyed me is quite common... it's a well-known trait recognized by lottery officials who see it all the time.

But I still can't figure out why so many of them do it.

It's this...

They decided to go back to work straight after collecting their check.

And I wonder what on earth drove them to continue their life of drudgery even for a single day longer.

I'd understand if they had obligations at work... if they managed a large number of people who depended on them. I'd stay around too, and hand over to my deputy. You can't let people down if you have any common decency.

But many winners have jobs where they won't be missed, except maybe by their co-worker friends. And you can always meet them after work, or shout them on an island holiday with you!

Tell me someone you know who loves their work and can't wait to get into the factory/office every morning.

I doubt whether you'd find anyone like that in a hurry.

When I was employed many years ago (and never again!) - even 5 minute's notice would have been too long. See ya!

Would you go back to work tomorrow?

If you said yes, think about why you are playing lotto. Isn't it to escape the cruddy life you have now? The life where you have no control over what you do and where you go?

Most winners throw in their job and go for the good life straight away.

So would I.

I hope you will too.

The weekend's coming up. Would you like to stay at home on Monday?









Happy Winning!
Ken Silver

Get a brief email whenever I make a new post

>> Take the free Quiz - could YOU be the next Lotto Millionaire?
>> Subscribe to my free Lotto-Tips newsletter
>> Send this post to a friend